Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pictures From The 2010-2011 Duck Season

Here are a few pictures of our duck hunting adventures in the 2010-2011 season. Wanted to give you something visual on the blog here. Mind you, I just started duck hunting during the 2009-2010 season.

The first picture is of a quick trip I took to Lake Thunderbird by myself with a dozen decoys and hiking in with full, chest-high, rubber waders on.


The second is picture is of a female hooded merganser that I dropped at 40 yards on a slow day at Fort Cobb (sorry for the dark pic, it was taken with my phone).



The third, I did not compose for public viewing, but to show Matt, who was laid up with a broken leg my near-limit while again going to Lake Thunderbird as a novice duck hunter. Yes, there is a headless drake in there.


The fourth picture is from the same trip to Fort Cobb as the second picture. It was early November, 70+ degrees, and we were lucky to see these birds in the 5 hours we sat. On the way back to the truck, I found the skull in the background. It appears to be a kill from 2009-2010 due to the bleaching of the skull, however the lack of rodent marks on it and the remnants of hair and some skin on the upper lip area led me to question this. Judging from the teeth, it appears to be a 2 1/2 year old buck and a decent 7 point by any public hunter's definitions. An interesting note, the right side of his rack only has 2 points as it does not have a brow tine, making it one of the larger fork-horn racks that I've seen personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment